If you are a German company that operates or wants to operate in the U.S., we can help. Our German Desk, led by Kai Bitter, combines attorneys from a broad range of legal disciplines, all with a particular focus on German Mittelstand companies. For German companies that want to enter the U.S. market by way of greenfield investment, acquisition, or joint venture, we advise on the structure, negotiate and manage the transaction, and integrate the new business venture. We also assist with securing work visas and resident visas, implementing and enforcing labor and employment strategies and policies, developing the supply chain and sales channels, and leveraging intellectual property assets on a global scale.
German Desk Contact
How We Help Clients
Our experience includes the full gamut of structuring, tax, antitrust, IP, workforce, global trade, customs, Employee Retirement Income Security Act, and environmental law. In complex, cross-border transactions, we counsel and assists with strategic planning and regulatory compliance for buyers, sellers, strategic investors and venture capitalists, management groups, independent committees of directors and investment banking firms.
We advise on U.S., German, EU and other applicable trade and customs laws, helping companies ensure that their import-export management practices and vendor contracts are legally sound and above reproach.
We provide comprehensive, outcome-focused representation in cross-border litigation and arbitration proceedings virtually anywhere in the world our clients do business, with notable strength in the areas of antitrust, environmental, product liability and commercial disputes.
We secure work visas and resident permits for managers and employees, including “green cards,” in the U.S. In conjunction with CPA firms, we also help expatriates navigate U.S., German and international law, especially regarding tax and inheritance.
The protection and licensing of patents, trademarks, copyrights and trade secrets are critical to a company’s success. We develop cost-effective strategies around our clients’ IP objectives and assets and help them execute those strategies on a worldwide basis.
- Advised German supplier of systems for surface finishing technology and environmental technology on large-scale OEM projects and formation of U.S.-based joint venture.
- Advised German market leader on a joint venture with European competitor for the U.S. market.
- Advised German-owned companies on expansion into the U.S. market through acquisitions and Greenfield investments.
- Lead U.S. counsel for many German-owned companies from various industries, including Tier 1 and Tier 2 automotive suppliers, plastic molding, commercial knives, industrial sensors, waste separators, gear drives, automotive safety technologies, and others.
- Advised U.S.-based material handling automation and software engineering company on License and Know-How Transfer Agreement with German equipment maker.
- Advised U.S.-based, publicly traded company on the attempted acquisition of German-based target in the auction process.
February 21, 2023
December 12, 2022
June 22, 2022
In the News:Software Industry M&A Trends 2021/2022
Publish Date: March 24, 2022
March 16, 2022
March 11, 2022
February 25, 2022
February 25, 2022
December 14, 2020
Stay ahead of the law.
Subscribe to receive email updates and choose your topics.