Latin America Desk
Spanning a range of legal disciplines, from mergers and acquisitions and regulatory compliance to intellectual property and high-stakes litigation, our Latin America Desk provides integrated, full-scale support to both Latin American businesses expanding into the U.S. market and U.S. companies looking for viable investments and business partners in Latin America.
Our Latin America Desk team includes attorneys who are fluent in Spanish and possess a deep understanding of the region’s legal systems and cultural dynamics. We have a long history of helping clients execute complex cross-border transactions and navigate challenges related to litigation, investigations and other enforcement proceedings.
Whether it’s counseling on jurisdiction-specific regulations or negotiating and litigating as needed, our team is uniquely equipped to help clients protect their investments and deliver on new market opportunities.
Latin America Desk Contact
Working seamlessly and strategically across borders, our Latin America Desk helps clients manage risks and execute bold strategies to strengthen where and how they compete.
- Assist clients with inbound, outbound and — of course — purely domestic mergers and acquisitions.
- Advise foreign investors on greenfield and other direct investments, joint venture formations, contract manufacturing and other strategic alliances.
- Help businesses market and sell their products, services and inventions through global distribution, agent, franchise, direct sale and licensing agreements.
- Work with clients to develop, protect, and profit from their international patents, trademarks and other intellectual property.
- Counsel on international trade compliance, navigating clients through the increasingly complex import and export requirements governing global commerce.
- Represent clients in U.S. and foreign litigation, arbitration, cross-border discovery, the enforcement of judgments, as well as anti-dumping, customs and other regulatory disputes.
- Assist clients with global personnel matters, including securing visas, work permits and secondments for employees inside and outside the U.S.
- Negotiated and drafted contracts on behalf of Sony Music Entertainment U.S. Latin LLC for recording artists throughout Latin America.
- Assisted a medical devices manufacturer pursuing patent protection in Brazil and Mexico.
- Represented a U.S.-based client in a lawsuit against a Mexican corporation in the U.S. regarding its failure to comply with contractual obligations arising from the sale of property in Mexico. Obtained a significant settlement for the client.
- Represented a restaurant franchisor and its franchisees in Latin America in trademark proceedings.
- Assisted a client with regulatory requirements for repatriation of remains from the U.S. to South America.
- Assisted a large architectural firm in Cincinnati, Ohio to start operations and hire local personnel in Panama.
- Assisted a client in an unfair competition case in a Colombian court.
- Assisted a Brazilian company with developing locations for a restaurant chain in Ohio and Kentucky.
- Assisted with regulatory and compliance advice to insurance companies offering international travel insurance protection.
Our membership to Multilaw, a global network of local counsel firms located in over 150 markets worldwide, enables us to provide clients with seamless, on-the-ground legal support virtually anywhere in the world they do business.
Doing Business in the United States
The United States is the world’s single largest market. Non-U.S. businesses invest in the U.S. with relative ease. But succeeding in this highly competitive environment presents unique challenges that go well beyond cultural or communication differences. We’ve created a Doing Business guide for foreign investors to help them better navigate their legal requirements while turning new opportunities and partnerships to their advantage. Click the thumbnail below to access the guide.