Aviation & Aerospace
Moving the industry upward.
Aviation is technically complex, highly regulated and rapidly evolving. Our aviation team has the substantive legal knowledge and industry experience to help you navigate through the challenges you encounter. We serve a broad range of industry clients, including the U.S. military, commercial airlines, cargo airlines, aircraft and component manufacturers, airports, charter operators, fixed base operators and repair stations. We have notable depth in the areas of commercial and government contracting, insurance and risk management, M&A transactions, regulatory compliance, labor and employment, import/export rules, intellectual property and dispute resolution.
Area of Focus Contacts
Our aviation team is experienced in every aspect of the industry, including:
- Commercial and government contracts
- Domestic and international transactions
- Litigation and dispute resolution
- Insurance and risk management
- Intellectual property
- Regulatory actions
- Legislative/lobbying campaigns
- Joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions and financing
- Import and export controls
- Data security advising and breach investigation
- Employment disputes and labor union negotiation
- Successfully defended manufacturer of complex components against $70 million claim alleging manufacturing defect.
- Successfully defended component manufacturer against claims of product defect; Obtained $96 million jury verdict against Plaintiff on crossclaims.
- Investigated and advised numerous manufacturers through product recalls, groundings, FAA airworthiness directives and service bulletins.
- Advised real estate developer through creation of public private partnership and development of substantial industrial aviation complex.
- Advised airports through creation and negotiation of financing agreements, land use agreements, operating agreements and acquisition of FAA funding.
- Advised developer and operator of “inside the fence” air cargo hub facility in excess of 1 million square feet in site acquisition and development, including ground lease with the airport, local zoning and state airport board approvals, and title clearance.
- Advised real estate developers in all phases of development, construction, leasing and sale of investment-grade e-commerce distribution and manufacturing facilities in excess of 1 million square feet located on airport property.
Maintenance Repair Operators
- Defended numerous repair stations to successful defense judgment.
- National counsel for risk retention group for Part 145 repair stations; Resolved over 60 claims on a cost-efficient basis.
- Represented airlines in regulatory proceedings before the FAA.
- Represented an airline in a series of investigations, notices of civil penalties and FAA /U.S. Department of Transportation complaints.
- Represented an airline in numerous claims under Montreal Convention.
Interstate Southwest Ltd. v. Avco Corporation, et al.
September 4, 2019
Alaska Airlines Crash, California
January 31, 2000
Mass Aviation Disaster – Bet The Company Litigation
September 2, 1998