Automotive Product Liability
Experience that goes the distance.
We not only know vehicles from the inside out, having spent years walking plant floors, talking to engineers and exploring our clients’ operations from every angle. But we also know what it takes to try auto product liability cases. Conducting effective pretrial discovery is only part of the story. Our product liability attorneys can aggressively pursue trial if a settlement is not what our client wants.
At trial we work in tandem with company engineers and outside consultants to communicate technical concepts in clear, yet persuasive ways. All expert witnesses are not created equal: We leverage the nation’s leading experts in a wide range of scientific topics, including metallurgy, fire, restraint systems, biomechanics, glass and glazing and crashworthiness. We know how to effectively cross-examine expert witnesses to draw out their theories, persuade judges and juries and maximize favorable results.
With a thorough understanding of both the drivers behind our clients’ businesses as well as the scientific principles involved in auto product liability, our product liability team is well-equipped to take on wrongful death and serious personal injury cases in jurisdictions around the world.
Area of Focus Contact
- Served as the defense liaison for all defendants in the Ford-Firestone multidistrict litigation based in Indianapolis.
- Earned complete dismissals of wrongful death and catastrophic injury cases for OEMs and Tier 1 suppliers.
- Tried and won a unanimous verdict for the Ford Motor Company in a wrongful death action. The case was later named as a “Top Ten Defense Verdict” by The National Law Journal.
- Defended General Motors at the trial court and Court of Appeals, where the Indiana Court of Appeals affirmed summary judgment for GM, and for the first time, recognized the application of comparative fault in a product liability enhanced-injury case.
- Appointed by a Fortune 500 company to a team of settlement specialists attempting to resolve major nationwide claims involving a high-profile recalled product.
- Obtained a unanimous jury verdict for Ford in the Broward County Circuit Court in a double-death case where the plaintiff sought damages in excess of $10 million.
- Obtained a defense verdict for a seat-belt manufacturer in an Arizona defective seat belt case.
- Served as national and trial counsel for a motor vehicle manufacturer involving allegations of brake defect